Take a Break

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office

Since I started this Public Record journey, I have had problem after problem with one specific department. I don't know why they feel they can respond however they wish, or why it takes multiple letters to the point that I go and speak with County Counsel in person about it. Well this months winner is the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department. I know some in LE have a holier than thou attitude, but they take the cake. I will post some of my previous chronicles later, including when Judge Haight agreed with my position.

For now, I offer my CPRA REQ for records authorizing them to charge their insane fees for copies. My request was sent via facsimile and email. Take a look.

Well, they responded and asked for an extension of time to gather the responsive documents.
After a little sleuthing, I learn that Lt. Dennis S. Kahane is an attorney. Lt. Kahane also ran for Rep. Central Committee of the 3rd Supervisor District. He's in charge of or was in charge of Sheriffs Charities, Inc.

There also appears to be some litigation in Contra Costa County involving Lt. Kahane, and it definitely appears to be protracted.

I received their response recently, and AGAIN the Sheriff's Office cannot figure out that I am requesting to INSPECT the files. I have made no determination as to whether I am going to need copies, pay for copies, or pay them for the copies. I get the impression the Sheriff's Office would prefer that people don't question them, or appear in person. We'll I'll just have to draft my response soon. Here's theirs:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the courts have determined the public should have access to the records. But what is your purpose, just to test that access with no need based reason. In this time of budget cuts, it seems you are just adding to the problem.

Anonymous said...

"no need based reason" IT'S NOT REQUIRED. I am the government, you work for me, REMEMBER THAT. You SERVE me. Budget cuts... This is the same ol argument. LEARN TO BUDGET BETTER. Don't hide behind the web anonymous. Without an identity, YOU'RE DONE...

Unknown said...

Very informative article. I've found your blog via Yahoo and I?m really glad about the information you provide in your posts. Thank You for sharing this very informative article... Regards

Public Records