Take a Break

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

CCC Recorder's Office Strikes Back

So I received Ms. Chambers' response. Obviously she had the assistance of County Counsel. If you look at it, read it, and then think about it, I think I need to goto the Board of Supervisors because it is obvious that they arbitrarily charge more than the direct or indirect costs. They make a surprising admission. Did you catch it? Keep reading. I'm actually a little busy right now, so I can't provide my line by line analysis, but I'm certain to keep you posted on my response, when I can get to it. Paying clients take priority over my time.

One comment I wanted to include was the fact that if you notice the fax transmission on some of the documents, they were sent to or from the recorder's office on July 25, 2007. Why did it take so long to send me the response? The Sunshine Ordinance specifically says not to use the State law time line as a delay tactic. And why can't anybody figure out what the word INSPECTION means? If I ever become independently wealthy, I'm going to sit my rear-end in the public offices and INSPECT every darn file, until Government gets it RIGHT!!!








3 comments:

Sara said...

Hi,
I'm Sara from WikiFOIA. I'm excited that I found your blog, and I added a link to it on the wiki page dedicated to California.
Good luck with your hunt for records! Stop by WikiFOIA some time, and let us know how things are progressing.

Unknown said...

The reason the county is charging more than the direct cost of duplication probably traces to Attorney General Opinion No. 01-605 of 2002, which concludes: "A county board of supervisors has statutory authority to charge a fee for a copy
of a public record that exceeds the fee amount authorized by the California Public Records
Act provided that the fee set by the county does not exceed the amount reasonably necessary
to recover the cost to the county of providing the copy."

CPRA Advocate said...

I agree Emily, my argument is HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER? The previous Board Order shows only minimal information, one being Revenues are anticipated to increase. I would like to know how they came to this figure. Since their system is completely automated, digital images, and printed from the terminal to the printer behind the counter, it cannot cost $1.00 per page. Since they admit that they have a lot of receipts, I'm going to narrow my request to find out what revenue they bring in versus what they spend, and see if they have a cash cow. If so, it isn't right!!! IMO