Take a Break

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

San Francisco City Attorney's Office and Public Records


San Francisco Office of the City Attorney's HOME PAGE has a SECTION dedicated to informing the public (you, me, anybody who can access the internet) about San Francisco's Sunshine Ordinance and How to Obtain Public Records. From the face, it appears "transparency" is important to Dennis J. Herrera. ***You will also find a lot of documents pertaining to the Christmas Day Tiger Mauling Incident***San Francisco is a city marred with allegations of Police Corruption, misconduct, cover-up, etc. While I don't know the facts of the present situation being reported by SFGate regarding a rookie officer and domestic violence I do know that the City Attorney's Office has done a relatively good job with their Web 2.0 interface and easily accessible documents. The City Attorney's Good Government Guide for 2007-08 and the accompanying Good Government Guide Supplement are available to download. Officials are required to submit a Sunshine Declaration to the Ethics Commission in order to comply with the Sunshine Ordinance.

The City Attorney's Office even provides a lengthy explanation of how to obtain public records from the City. They also include a sample request here. While I don't know if this is all fluff or serious openness, but at least its public. Has anybody had any experience trying to get records from the City? Please comment and let me know.

2 comments:

Kimo C said...

Yes I have a lot of experience with the City of San Francisco and public records.

Last year we had a big dispute over access to records in their original format. While we won, the City Attorney still refuses to change it's opinion.

see here under opinons
http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/cityattorney/opinions/METADATA.pdf

CPRA Advocate said...

Kimo, the City's Memo on metadata and .pdf versus .doc files is interesting. Would you care to share more about your case? Either here or email me privately, so I may read the requests, responses, etc.? I understand the City's position (not sure if I agree or disagree), however I think the text of the record is what is important. I think one way around the issue, is if you ask to VIEW the records, not ask for copies, then you can see them. I think I need more from you to understand what happened.